Monday, December 15, 2008

Small Business Marketing

I'm an electrical engineer, one who is particularly marketing challenged :)


I've subscribed to Ilise Benun, the Marketing Mentor's e-newsletter, http://www.marketing-mentor.com/ and one of the links in one of her newsletters was to a telephone interview with Bob Bly, http://www.bly.com/newsite/Pages/index.php .


One of the topics that was talked about in this telephone interview was blogging. I've seen it 100 times, that having a blog is good for directing traffic to your web site. But, I don't know what I would blog about?? Do people care what I have to say??


So I finally decided to give this a try and see what happens?? Maybe I can provide some information that I have learned about the challenges of running a small business that may be useful to another small business owner??


My first thought is blogging about marketing, since that is what I'm working on today, and I would like to share a few of the resources I have found helpful to someone who has very little marketing skills, but willing to research and try new things.


First I recommend signing up for Ilise's newsletter, it arrives every couple weeks and is a good reminder to put your marketing hat on and do something productive for your marketing. She has some very useful information that she enjoys providing for people in need like myself.


Another good resource is Biznik, http://biznik.com/ . Biznik isn't very active in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota right now, so I don't get the benefit of the networking part of Biznik, however, the bi-weekly newsletter that they send out is loaded with articles people have submitted on various topics about running a small business, including marketing strategies.


Both of these resources have information about blogging, which, now that I have set up a blog, I will go back and review so that I can learn how to use my blog as a productive marketing tool.


Thank you for reading, and have a great day!!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Steven

    I've also been a subscriber to Marketing Quick Tips from Ilese! Small world...then again she has lots of people listening to her. But I had yet to find anyone who is from the Twin Cities area that was.

    I'm not marketing challenged... as far as online marketing and web stuff goes. Let me know if you need any help in these areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to list some contact info...

    -Bobbi Jo

    B. Woods Design - Professional Managed Websites & Hosting
    Twin Cities (651) 774-0811
    Toll - Free (877) 99-MY-WEB
    http://www.bwoodsdesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. All right Steve!!! Good to see you finally hop onto the blog train.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small business
    3) According to the study, the most important tool for small businesses to succeed in 2010 is search engine marketing, while email marketing, public relations and social media cited as crucial for success.
    23.8% of all small businesses reported that search engine marketing was the tool most needed for their business to succeed in 2010….
    www.onlineuniversalwork.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Small business

    2) The Center for Media Research has released a study by Vertical Response that shows just where many of these ‘Main Street’ players are going with their online dollars. The big winners: e-mail and social media. With only 3.8% of small business folks NOT planning on using e-mail marketing and with social media carrying the perception of being free (which they so rudely discover it is far from free) this should make some in the banner and search crowd a little wary……….

    www.onlineuniversalwork.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Small business
    3) According to the study, the most important tool for small businesses to succeed in 2010 is search engine marketing, while email marketing, public relations and social media cited as crucial for success.
    23.8% of all small businesses reported that search engine marketing was the tool most needed for their business to succeed in 2010….
    www.onlineuniversalwork.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We first became aware of this problem during a class in the early 1980s. It was a small business advertising class on Portland Area College in Oregon. http://www.teachingdegreefinder.org/degrees/curriculum-instruction

    ReplyDelete