Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Passing the Professional Engineering Exam!!

In the fall of 2008, I decided that I should try to take the Professional Engineering exam. If I became a Professional Engineer, then I caould use Electrical Engineer and Consultant in the same sentence :) .

Since I had not taken the Engineer in Training exam, I needed to go through quite a process for requesting a waiver for that. Because of my age and experience, I qualified to apply for the waiver. After following the steps for getting the waiver, I then went through the application process for taking the exam. The process is set up to prevent professional exam takers from getting into the exam and learning and selling the questions.

During this time I had begun the studying process. It was quite a lot of work, and brought back many memories of my college days. I purchased some suggesated reference books, and some study exams and workbooks that are supposed to prepare you for the exam, and bought two new calculators that are approved for the exam, one that has RPN that I am used to, and another one that has matrix calculation capability.

It was now April, just before the exam date, so I decided which reference books were the most useful to me, and worked out hundreds more study problems.....

On the night before the exam, I packed up all of the reference books, and my calculators, and study questions, worked out problems, and a lunch into a suitcase.

The next morning, the exam started.

I was sure that I had not studied quite enough, and that I would need to take the exam again, so I was just going through this exam as a practice, to see how everything was done, and to get the feel for how to better prepare.

It was a long eight hours..... I was happy when it was over, and I knew where I needed to study more for my next attempt.

So, for the next ten or eleven weeks, I continued studying the areas that I felt I needed more practice in, and then a letter came in the mail that containeed the exam results.....

I passed!!!!!!!

They don't tell you any more information than whether you did or did not pass, but I had passed, and I didn't care about anything else :) :)

I applied for my license number, which took only a day to get back, and then applied for the National Society of Professional Engineers, and the Minnesota Society of Professional Engineers.

It feels good to get that under my belt, and now I can say that I am an Electrical Engineering Consultant !! :)

3 comments:

  1. Great man! The conclusion I get from your post is that we should not underestimate or even overestimate ourselves. We, as a student should trust in ourselves. We should learn how to move on and not cling on to the past and we should not be too much disappointed even if we don't get what we expected.

    Electrical Engineering Consultant



    ReplyDelete
  2. i love to collect different models of cellphones that is why i have lots of cellphones at home;; Business startup consultants in India

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quickly our own web site will, no doubt definitely turn into well regarded together with practically all running any website family members, due to its careful content and evaluate posts. Alexander Malshakov

    ReplyDelete